Monday, June 20, 2022

Review: SKIMS bralettes

Wow, did I really hate Wordpress. Took most of the fun out of blogging. So I'm going back to my cozy little blogger site; the equivalent of ditching a giant SUV and keeping your old VW Beetle instead.

Since I haven't worn underwire in two years now - and now, even my comfiest don't seem comfy enough - I continue with my bralette quest.

SKIMS

Nutshell:  Wonderful fabrics, but all styles run very small.

Fits Everybody Scoop Neck bra



This is indeed a universal style. The fabric is buttery soft and smooth and feels great against the skin.

The cups are not especially generous and I'm getting a bit of flattening of my full-on-top shape, but it's not a bad shape overall. 

However, it feels tight on. The band runs at least one size small. And the straps are thin and quite wide-set, so not all that big boob friendly. On the positive side, the color range is fantastic: a huge spectrum of nude shades and a changing set of seasonal colors, if, like me, beige isn't your bag, baby.

Fits Everybody High Neck bra




This is the one I had high hopes for. There are so many tops - wrap styles, I'm looking at you - that our smaller-cupped sisters can throw on with ease, but are instantly 'not work appropriate' if you're full-busted. This would be a perfect fix for that issue, without adding any warm layers.

Same buttery fabric. The racerback style negates the thin strap issue, but does give that feeling of extra weight on your neck, which I don't love and I wish they'd opted to wide the back into more of a tank top cut to distribute pressure and add support. 

The sides are low. I mean, I definitely prefer lower sides, but these are low. And, again, it runs small in both cup and band, but it's the band that's a dealbreaker; it's actually giving that unpleasant feeling of cutting into my skin. 

Cozy Knit bralette




And then there's this. It's the silliest thing I've tried since that wacky terrycloth boob sling. 

First off, it makes you look like a muppet.

And there is less than zero support. There is no band at all. Just a single piece of flat, ultra stretchy, winter scarf type fabric. There is no way you'd want to wear this on its own: the risk of popping out or flopping under is extremely high. 

Price Point

$32, which is a bit spendy for such basic styles, but the super soft fabrics and great range of color choices might make it worth it to you. Still, I'd wait for a sale.

Sizing XXS-4X

This is the main issue: all styles run small by a good one to two sizes. I would take the size chart with a very large grain of salt. 

For example, all the styles I tried are in a 3X. Per their chart, which helpfully references to dress size, but is inaccurate, this fits a bust of 51-53". Yeah, no. By that measurement, I should have gotten a 2X, but I just went with my gut and sized up. It was not enough. I'd advise going up two full sizes.  Because the fabrics are so great, I'd be willing to try a 4X, but I would be topping out their size range. 


No comments:

Post a Comment