Saturday, August 21, 2021

Review: Lume Deodorant

I've tried a lot of new natural deodorants during the pandemic because I've been working from home, which makes it the perfect time. Because there's only myself to offend if they fail.


Recap: I started on my epic quest to find non-aluminum deodorants when I suddenly developed an angry allergic reaction to the Dove solid I'd used for the last decade or so. Which left me pretty dismayed since I'm kinda crunchy, but in a very pragmatic way. Deodorant is one thing that simply needs to work, and chemicals are a lesser consideration for me.


 
















I had high hopes for Lume, since I like cream formulas and you can use this anywhere on the body. Not a feature I was looking for, but cool nonetheless. I tried a sample pack so I could try five scents.


The first thing I noticed was that this is not a cream like Type:A is, but rather a watery, slow-drying lotion, like Drunk Elephant. The second thing I discovered is that all of the scents share the same underlying scent, a kind of cloying, cling to the back of. your throat, chemical undertone. I noticed the same thing beneath the pleasant almond scent of Drunk Elephant. I assume this is due to the ingredient of mandelic acid that both share. And unfortunately, the third thing I learned is that this ingredient simply doesn't work on me. I mean, at all.


Rating: 2/10.  Thats right. On a scale of 10 hours, Lume worked for 2 hours. And that's time spent typing on my sofa - not mowing the lawn or going to the gym. Just sitting here, respirating and typing. 


The upside is that once you know a main ingredient does not work for you, you can strike all other products based on that from your list. So anything with mandelic acid is a complete fail for me: Drunk Elephant, Lume, Kopari, etc. These are all very spendy as well, so that saves me time and money. Since I'm not about to risk baking soda on my sensitive skin, that really just leaves the magnesium-based options, which have been effective to varying degrees. 











No comments:

Post a Comment