Sunday, November 7, 2021

Review: Delimira Wireless bra

It's been a long while since I've reviewed any actual bras here. That's because since the pandemic began I've been working from home in yoga pants and bralettes. My OG standbys 32 Degrees and Bali Revolution have been all I've needed during this unprecedented time of quarantine. My own state continues to lead the nation in Covid cases (oh, the pride) and since I don't fancy being medivaced down to Seattle for 20K, I won't be eating in restaurants any time soon or going anywhere that merits an actual bra.

Still, there are times I need a bit more support and want something with more bra and less 'lette'.




Beauty

That's It. Right there. That tonal embroidery and odd V-neck strip of lace. That's all you get.

I opted for Mochaccino over the dreaded beige, but that's as flamboyant as this style gets.


Hahahahaha. OK, yes, I know: this baby is a flat-out frump fest. But stay with me if comfort is your jam. Because this generic version of the Triumph Doreen, which, since the 1950s, has consistently been the most popular bra in the world, is a comfy workhorse. 

I've been aware of the Doreen for a long time. It was popular in the early-80s, when I was in high school; it was a favorite of friends when I was in the Philippines for my foreign exchange year. Back then, I was all about thin, silky, front-close triangle bras and would never have worn this style; I just thought it was a funny retro thing. Then in the early-90s, when I lived in the UK, my 30-yr-old neighbor loved this style. By then, I was all about my Vanity Fair underwires, so again, I passed. Fast-forward 30 years, many lbs, sensitive skin, and bigger boobs later, & I've reconsidered.


Comfort

FABRIC. Satiny nylon on the outside means clothes will glide smoothly. Cotton lining on the inside means soothing comfort for sensitive skin and a huge win if you're in a hot, sticky climate.

CUPS. Old school 3-part seamed design. A more diagonal seam will always give a better shape. That horizontal seam does no boob shape any favors, but in this case, it also doesn't do much harm. The cups are generous and, while not stretchy, they do have a bit of give. They are not actively flattening my full-on-top boobs - and while not exactly flattering my natural shape, they are also not cutting into it, which is always a nice surprise. But the biggest plus for me is that the seams are flat and smooth; not rough or irritating in any way.

BAND. Smooth, soft fabric; no nasty, rough power-mesh here. It also nice and low at the sides, so no chafing or cutting into soft skin there.

STRAPS. Very nicely done. Soft and wide, with no sharp, cutting edges. And no obnoxious ring connectors to dig in.

Shape

Mediocre and acceptable. Not round, but not pointy, either. But that horizontal seam is going to be visible in anything but a chunky sweater, including the thin sweater I'm wearing below.






Oh, & that's the other hobby I've been working on during the pandemic: growing out my silver curls.

When Do I Wear It?

When I want more support than a soft bralette can give, especially in terms of bounce control and lift, but I don't want bust out the underwire. I wouldn't choose this for a thin T-shirt, but it's fine under cotton blouses or loose sweaters. This is what I'd choose if faced with a long day at work, followed by going out afterward, with no time to go home and change. I might choose it for travel if faced with a lot of walking to connecting flights where bounce control and firmer support would be welcome

Price Point: around $25

Sizing: my usual with Delimira. I went up to a 42F, which fits me like a 40G UK, or 40H US.


No comments:

Post a Comment