Friday, February 5, 2016

Review: Panache Idina Plunge

Yeahhhh. This is not a plunge in my size; it's a balconette. It's also the only Panache I've found to be at all comfortable. And by that, I mean I can tolerate it for a full day's wear. Just. To be frank, I find Panache as a brand to be hideously uncomfy overall. The ultra-rigid wires are harsh, not cushioned at all. And they are reach-for-the-sky, armpit-stabbingly high - and I'm 5'9", so that's saying something. They do often give a great shape, however. But, as the name of this blog probably gives away, I am in no way, shape or form (see what I did there?) willing to sacrifice comfort, even for a lovely shape. Life is just too short to wear uncomfortable bras.


Comfort, because: first things first.
  • Fabric.  A very flat, smooth stretch lace; not fragile at all. My sensitive skin is quite happy with this.
  • Straps.  They have that felt/flocking lining that Jasmine has. They are not wide, but they do not dig.
  • Wires.  Welllll. They are not actually armpit-stabbers, as this is considered one of Panache's lower-wired options. (Yes, I am making giant "air quotes" right now...how did you guess that?) This brand's idea of 'lower wires' is still much, much higher than almost any other brand I can think of. 
Beauty

It is a nice non-fussy, understated style. The lace lays flat, but the seams unfortunately do not. So that pretty much negates the point of having flat, unobtrusive lace fabric. The copper-toned hardware is a unique touch, and it gives a clean-lined feel. 

I do like the shape it gives: rounded and lifted, but not overly boosted. More subtle than Cleo. 


Compromises & Fit (because these two categories are really linked here)



Wires.  They are simply too rigid for this bra to be as comfortable as it otherwise could be. I bend them slightly outward at the outer tips, as I do 80% of my bras, and no other brand is harshly unyielding as Panache. I mean, literally, I have to brace it on the edge of a table and apply serious steady force. That is just not a plus for me. I want fabrics and wiring that conform gently to my body - rather than trying to mold my boobs and rib cage with brute force. But that's just me.

Gore. Very wide. I don't think of my boobs as being especially close-set, but more moderately set - they certainly are not wide-set. And definitely not ultra-wide-set. The pic shows that the gore is actually forcing my boobs apart, and digging in at the top. The Idina would be a perfect candidate for Bras I Hate & Love's taking in the gore bra hack if it weren't for this next issue:

Band.  The Idina's band runs incredibly - almost unbelievably - small. The 38 fits like an extremely tight 36, or even a loose 34. This is one of the very few bras I have to wear with an extender - & the only 38 band I've ever had to use an extender on. It also has only 2-hooks, so that's another big drawback for me. 

Cup.  On top of the band running 1 - 2 sizes small, the cups run a size small as well. So when I was a 36GG, I wore the Idina plunge in a 38H and used an extender. The shape is not really full-on-top friendly; it is only the stretch fabric that allows me to wear the style. But even in the H, I will get some slight pillowing on top as the day wears on.

Sizing.  The fit alters hugely from the 38GG to the 38H. The cup becomes more full-coverage, and the wires are taller. It no longer resembles a plunge in any way. 

When Do I Wear It?
Not often these days. The rigid wires make it equally less comfy for both active days and sitting-at-a-desk days. I might wear Idina on a weekend: out to brunch or to a casual dinner party, when I want a nice shape - sans cleavage - under a V-neck knit.
Size: 38GG or 38H (both with extender)


I'd love to hear from anyone who has tried some of the newer Panache styles, and if you've had any success with comfort. 

No comments:

Post a Comment