Sunday, February 10, 2019

Review: ASOS Design bralettes

Yes, I know I said I didn't believe there was any better large-bust bralette out there than Bali's Comfort Revolution - and that's still true in terms of support and pure comfort. But there are prettier bralettes out there, and they have their place. Plus, who am I kidding, what would I do with my spare time if my quest for holy grail bra/lettes ever succeeds?

So I decided to try ASOS' house brand. They also carry a lot of well-known UK brands. They unhelpfully (for anyone who understands UK sizing) convert the sizes into US...so you have to convert it right back if you're used to UK sizes - as most of us with big boobs are. 

ASOS DESIGN Fuller Bust Microfibre triangle bra


Despite the name, this is not a bra - it's a bralette. And it's barely that, more of a boob sling. That's not necessarily a bad thing when you want barely there, minimal support. It's very similar to a skimpy bikini top, especially the 'band'; we'll get to that.

Beauty.  
Very pretty, with sleek, clean lines. The cups are matte and the straps have a textured sheen. And it comes in multiple hues, including a range of skin tones. That's right: not just a single 'skin tone' option, but black, white, golden, chestnut and beige. Serious props to ASOS for this.

This color way is called -very strangely, if you ask me - Rust. Yeah. Something that puts you in mind of an old jalopy would not be my first choice, and clearly, it's a creamy muted coral. Which, coincidentally, would've been a much better name. Just sayin. 

Comfort & Fit. 
Cups. The microfiber cups are mesh-lined and actually provide some support. Yes, I would've preferred the silky fabric next to my skin, but it's still softish, so a decent trade-off. The triangle cut means there is minimal coverage on the inner cup. This causes two interesting effects: lots of cleavage, and lots of separation. Most bralettes have the opposite effect and tend to create a smooshed boob-loaf. Here, the vertical seam and wide-open center actually keeps my fairly close-set boobs totally separate. So that alone creates comfort. Because of this feature, plus the far more flattering style, I'd usually opt for this over the Breast Nest if I wanted to embrace that 'free range' feeling.


Band.  Yeah, the 'band' design is pretty silly. Literally a very thin - perhaps 3/4 or 1" elastic band with a 2-hook closure. That's it. They missed an opportunity to use a 2" microfiber-covered band that would have been comfy and increased support greatly. As it is, it's still surprisingly comfy-is, but wow, is it ever minimal. Here, let me magnify, in case you blinked and missed it:

This is it. Your entire 'band'. And very quickly, either one or both of these two things is going to happen. Your fluffy bits will roll it up until it practically disappears into said fluff, or, the weight of your boobs will drag it upward like this:


Do I care about this? Eh, not so much. This is that boob-sling effect I mentioned, and because it's not actually transferring much weight to the straps, it's not causing discomfort. And the shape I'm getting is all I need or want under pj's, for example. Is it ideal? No, of course not. Is it wearable? Sure, if it's comfy and if all you are looking for is gentle support in your own living room. I did actually wear it to the store today, under a loose dark sweater, and it was fine for that purpose. But normally, I wouldn't wear it out of the house/garden. 
Size: US 38I (UK 38G)

ASOS DESIGN Fuller Bust Roxy lace triangle bra




The only difference in these two styles is the fabric. This one is called, imaginatively, 'Red'. The mesh-lined lace is medium-soft. The lace edging did not irritate my skin, but is not as comfy as the microfiber style. 
Size: 40H (UK 40FF) 

When Do I Wear Them?

When I just want very light support and gentle, minimal containment. And I want something a lot prettier than my ultra-comfy Bali bralettes. So, ideal for weekend lounging and sexy times. While Mr. ComfyCurvy is politely neutral on the beauty quotient of Bali, his response to ASOS was "I'm here for it." So there you have it.

Sizing  The sizing is specific, not S-XL ranges. Bands don't run snug (I still have a hard time calling these 'bands') and I would say sister-sizing downward will work better than upward. I did get a more secure fit with the 38I than the 40H. The cups are not especially generous and are not meant to give much side coverage. The mesh lining means they are not overly stretchy. If you're full-on-bottom, no need to size up. Again, let the triangle bikini look set your expectations here. 

Pricepoint  I bought them on sale for $13 each on ASOS US website. Other colors are $19. The quality is pretty decent, too. 

1 comment:

  1. Great reviews as always! :)They do look really comfy and for only $20? Not bad. I've never tried anything from ASOS before. I think I'll check them out.

    ReplyDelete